November 1, 2011

Mango Chutney

Pin It Now!

I live in a place which is very favorable, surroundings by so many mango trees, many of them. At the first year when I arrived at this place, exactly this time of year, It was arum manis mango seasonal *mangga arum manis
I can plug the mango as many as I want at anytime, no one would make complain because its allowed by the management, this is really cool ah…

To me, this is absolutely advantageous place to live at as I really big fan of mango, hihi..i can make manisan mangga, pickled mango, mango salad, sambal mangga, mango granita, mango juice, mango pops and many more variety of mango dishes.




Since the mango season hits the island and of course the mango trees started to produced their wonderful fruits, I have made my mango chutney yesterday its from naturally grown mango tree of our compounds.
It is very simple mango chutney that really great for snacking as dipping sauce, fruity, tangy and vibrant.




I had learn it recipe when I lived in India several years back but I had simplify modified based on my taste. I choose a medium ripe mango because I want my chutney has naturally acidic, flavourful, mildly pungent and bright.
Since I don’t want to add vinegar for the acidity, consequently I substitute vinegar with lemon juice instead; it perfectly creates the sharp sourness, intensity fresh and vibrant kind of chutney








Mango Chutney

 


Ingredients
3 medium ripe mangoes, small diced
1 long red chilli, deseeded, thinly slice
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 lemon
3-4 lemon peel, thin slice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
Salt to taste   


Method

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds, 
once are slightly pop-up, add the chilli and lemon peel
Give it a nicely stir and fry until fragrant.

Add-ins mango, sugar and lemon juice, season with salt
Bring to the medium boil.

Reduce the heat to low Simmer for about 15-20 minutes 
or until very thick
*With it timing is just perfect to make the mango chutney thick 
but it has maintained the pieces.

Remove from the heats, set aside to cool

Pour into sterilised jars (Refrigerated for up to 1 month)
* I normally have it with seaweed rice crackers or Indian papadams