October 23, 2010

Rica-rica ikan Tongkol / Manadonese style spicy fish

Pin It Now!
Rica-rica tongkol


Rica-rica is one of well-known manadonese dish and its originally from Manado (North Sulawesi). The word Rica mean “Spicy” or “chilli”.
There are view diversity of the rica recipe, such ayam rica-rica (spicy chicken) and Ikan rica-rica (spicy fish), yet rica-rica is extremely famous throughout Indonesia

I was so pleased when one of my close friends invited me for lunch with manadonese cuisine over her house and she always tells me that my favourite rica-rica ikan tongkol is in the list, as she knows as its my favourite manadonese dish.
Since its been my favourite recipe, consequently thinking of putting here and tagged as my taste of Indonesian
As I posted “Rica-rica ikan tongkol”, here I revealing the recipe using pindang ikan tongkol

Before you scroll down to the recipe, first, you got to know what is Pindang


Pindang tongkol


Pindang Ikan is evaporated processing and preservation which is very popular in Indonesia, due to evaporation process, its generally accepted and preferred by the indonesian people as its distinguished specific flavour
Tuna/cob fish is preferable fish which widely used as the main raw ingredients of pindang

Pindang process are include:


fresh tuna/cob fish, weeded, washed then coated in salt
allowed to stand for few hours and then arranged in pot
add water and allow to boil over medium heats for at least 1 to 1 ½ hours
discard the water and leave just little fluids
steamed for approx 30 minutes, drained, packaged and stored for at least 2 days
Pindang ready to consume


Note:The used of salt concentrations should in correct amount


Rica-rica tongkol



Recipe

* If you have no tuna/cob fish pindang you may substitute with fresh tuna, steamed, head off, debone

3 whole fish pindang tongkol, split up the middle part
2 medium size onions, thinly slices
6-7 shallots, thinly slices
6 birds eye chilli *plenty, if you prefer spicy like me, be my guest :)
4 red chillies
1 tomato, chopped
Oil
Salt to taste

Lightly fry the fish, keep aside
Meantime, roughly pound the chilli
Heat the oil in the wok, fry the onions until wilted
Add the chilli and stir
Add in chopped tomato, seasons with salt
Last, add in the fish, mix well until the fish coated with the chilli
Serve with hot steam rice